Thursday, February 24, 2011

2 Years Ago Today

Two years ago today we had to say goodbye to one of the loves of my life. Two years ago today we had to help load his things into a Jeep and watch them drive away. I cried silently as I had to put him into the carseat in a car that was unfamiliar to him. It was like he knew. Clint and I made it through the day in a fog. Coming home to a house without Bruce was so unreal.

Bruce was such a ray of sunshine in our family. He was funny and sweet and had such a cute disposition!
When he came to us, he was so little. He was 14 months old and so wide-eyed. He was so unsure of this new place.
I remember the first night he was with us. He had gotten so used to the living room in our house that he wouldn't sleep in his crib. He cried and cried.
I made a pallet on the floor in the living room for he and I. He cried most of the night. I felt SO bad for him. I was helpless. All I could do was hold him and love on him. My connection with him was instant. So was Clint's. Bruce loved Clint SO much. They were precious together. He was always so excited to see Clint walk in the door at the end of the day.

Here's Bruce when he came to our house that first day. He just sat next to Clint on the couch. We had Clint's parents there and our sweet neighbors from across the street came to say hi too.


Bruce really warmed up to us quick. I think once he knew he was safe and not going anywhere, he was able to relax.
Here he is a few weeks after he came...and 1 haircut later!

Our lives were so enriched. We loved him more than words can say.
Today is tough. Each year the details of him seem to get harder to remember. One thing is for sure, the love I had (have) for him has never gone away. I know it never will.



Our first Christmas with Bruce. He loved to see our reaction when he would touch the ornaments on the tree. What a funny boy.
This is one of my favorite pictures of the kids together. Stockings hung, PJ's on....it's just sweet.



This was the night before Bruce left. He got some sweet time in with his baby sister, who we brought home from the hospital on Feb. 14th. He was really sweet with her.

Bruce, we will never forget you. We will never stop praying that you are loved and cared for like you deserve! We miss you every day.




































2 comments:

  1. Kathleen,
    This makes my heart ache and I can sense the longing and love you had for this little boy. Praying for your heart today -- sweet sister in Christ-- that He will give your weary heart rest and He will fill it with overflowing peace.
    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kathleen,

    This made me cry! What a difference you guys made in his life. You helped Bruce experience unconditional love, stability, and a family. I'm praying for you.. You have such a precious momma heart!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!